Project 10 the Hard Way – It’s ALIVE!

The "secret weapon". OK, maybe not, but the Holley 4412-HP 500-CFM 2-barrell performed well and gives us a great option for hot tracks or if simply want to go slower and still be as efficient in the power band as we can be. The tricky part will be a different air cleaner top is needed.

DYNO RESULTS from our 415" Project-10 engine

After Pete, Curt and Tim finished up the engine it was time to put it on the dyno and see if we had ended up in the horsepower/torque range I was looking for. I had three carburetors I wanted to try in the event we made a little too much power for the 9" M/T slicks. I could swap carbs and take a little power away.

Proper engine break-in is IMPORTANT, especially if you are using a flat-tappet camshaft. The guys at AEM have special break-in rocker arms that take a lot of pressure off the camshaft and lifters, so the initial 30 minutes or so of running the engine will not result in a lifter/camshaft failure. I think the break-in rocker arms have a 1.2:1 ration instead of the normal 1.52:1 ratio. Ask your dyno shop if they offer than service.

The NOISE begins

We started out with a proven 850 CFM carburetor I used on my 425-inch Olds engine last year. This carb uses a power valve and we had 72 primary jets and 80 secondary jets. It pulled great and I was pretty surprised that the 415-inch engine made a best of 545 HP at 6300 RPM and made 522 ft/lbs of torque at only 4600 RPM. The 850 is probably a little larger than I wanted to use but it sure ran good. We used an HVH 1-inch spacer under the carb.

The Hedman Husler Hedders we got were a bit of a surprise when I took them out of the box. I had not seen a 4-tube flat collector before. Going to have to use a set of our Collector Cables for sure. I did find out I have to get a remote oil filter kit and a starter than can be "clocked" or rotated to get the solenoid vertical. More on the hedders next month.

Next up was a 650 CFM QuickFuel Black Diamond street/strip carburetor. We used it "untouched" and even left the choke plate in it. On the first pull it was a little rich but it almost reached the 850 in horsepower and torque. We only made one pull with it as it ran perfectly and produced 534 HP at 6300 RPM and 516 ft/lbs of torque at 4800 RPMs. I am beginning to think we might have over-powered this small tire car a bit.

Now for the "secret weapon". OK, maybe not a real secret weapon but I had an idea to try a 500 CFM Holley two-barrel. I used an adapter that a lot of stock-car racers use. It allows the 500 CFM carb to be moved front to rear over the plenum to help get the mixture correct. The general consensus in the AEM dyno room was "that carb will cost you at least 75 horsepower. Start it up and let's find out."

The first pull was sluggish and the idle was not good. Curt made some adjustments to the idle circuits and the float level was too high. Next pull cleaned up and the fuel mixture was very rich as the #80 jets were too much for our small camshaft. It made 460 HP and 412 ft/lbs of torque. They moved the carb forward a bit on the adapter due to EGT showing the front cylinders were leaner than the rear and jetted it down to #78 jets.

The Holley #4412 Ultra 500 two-barrel made some good noise and more power than we expected as it stayed about 20 HP short of the four-barrel carbs through 5500 RPMs then it began to fall off as it just doesn't flow the amount of air the 650 and 850 flow.

The results were a best pull of 474 HP at 5900 RPM and best torque of 480 ft/lbs at 4600 RPMs. Still, the "secret weapon" had a really flat torque curve and a very level power curve. This may not be the first carb we use on Project 10 but I guarantee you it will see some action this season, especially if the track we go to is a bit slippery or the weather gets cooler this fall.

SOURCES

 
Competition Products
www.competitionproducts.com
Comp Cams
www.compcams.com
Dart Machinery
www.dartheads.com
Holley Ultra Series carburetors
www.Holley.com
Quick Fuel carburetors
www.quickfueltechnology.com
Racing Head Service Heads
www.racingheadservice.com

Up next: TO THE TRACK!

There are a lot of little things to do, bleed the brakes, 4-wheel alignment, headers installed, trans and converter installed, driveshaft made and final check-list to go over, but I am thinking by the end of July we will start “wearing out parts" on Project 10- The Hard Way.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped with technical advice, getting the right parts and believing in a Project Car that is simply a bracket car, nothing more.