BTE World Footbrake Challenge at Bristol, Tenn.

Matt Obertanec  (John DiBartolomeo photo)

Based on his previous reaction time, Obertanec received the lucky bye run to place him automatically into the semifinals. Green defeated Davis and Simpers took out Campbell.


With a .008 reaction time in the quarterfinal round, Simpers received the semifinal bye run to move him right into final round and a chance at the $3,000 top prize. In the other half of the semis, Obertanec used a .013 reaction time and a dead-on the dial with a "7" to defeat Green, who was equally up to the task with his own .018 reaction time and a dead-on the dial with a "9" for the loss.


The final round pitted Obertanec who was the Friday winner at 2014 World Footbrake Challenge and the Maryland racer Simpers, who has a slew of track championships to his credit. The race was over at the starting line though when Simpers lit the red light by .009 handing another WFC win to Obertanec.



Day two of the BTE World Footbrake Challenge and the staging lanes were once again full with the best footbrake racers in the country.


On tap for Nitroplate Friday was a $10,000 to win event to be followed by another $3,000 to win Gambler's race. Last year's Friday winner, Matt Obertanec, has already scored a win in Friday night's Gamblers event, which gave him the rights to the first round bye run.


Prior to eliminations, a drawing was held to raffle off a Huntsville Engine 18-degree small block Chevy engine. Two hundred raffles were sold and five names were pulled for awards. A $200, $300, $400 and $500 winners were chosen before Bug McCarty's name was drawn as the winning ticket.


As is the norm, the field is all run until there are eight or less cars after which a ladder is generated. After 341 cars made the first round call, the field was dwindled down to eight cars left with the combatants being Randy Wayne Thorson, Brad Plourd, Matt Sayers, Mark Brewer, looking to double up after last night Matt Obertanec, Devin Dudley, Tommy Plott and Randy Biddle.


In the quarterfinals, the redlight ended Obertanec's bid moving Thorson on. Plott also succumbed to the dreaded redlight to advance Biddle. Another redlight ended Sayers day and allowed Plourd to move to the semifinals and Brewer took out Dudley to complete the semifinal pairings.


In the round of four, Plourd took out 17-year old Thorson. In the other half, Biddle defeated Brewer to move to the final round for a date with Plourd for a possible $10,000 payday.